Ever notice how every baby goes through a stage where they look like Winston Churchill? Or maybe Winston Churchill just looked like a mean, fat, baby.
A friend mentioned to me today that they had recently started blogging. They went on about how much fun they were having, and what a great experience it is to have a voice online.
This sparked something in the back of my brain. I thought to myself, “Oh yeah…I had a blog once.” I realized I had originally stopped just because my required time with Digital Storytelling was over and I thought I would take a break from my online persona. When it crossed my mind months later, I wasn’t able to login and could find no trace of my page so I just shrugged it off and went on with my life.
And that’s when I realized! My life has been so boring! And DS106 was so much fun! Aside from school, the only thing I really do with my spare time is watch documentaries concerning the history of the British monarchy (no shame). After some intense research (I typed ‘word press’ into the search bar of my e-mail) I was able to find my info again and discovered that everything is how I left it.
So, during my free time this semester (of which there will be very little) I’m going to dip my toe back into the DS106 pond. Hopefully it comes back to me quickly.
I enjoyed reading and researching Creative Commons and seeing just how it affected how I do my work. It makes me more deeply appreciate the public domain and that people want everyone to be able to share anything informative or educational.
The Scott LoDown podcasts are a neat way to reach out to students, both open participants and local students, and let them know what is going on in the class. It’s always helpful to have some tips and tricks and these are especially cool because they are available whenever we want to reference them. I enjoy listening to them every week.
I also really enjoyed delving in and learning in depth about design. It helps to read these things, especially since I myself am not very artistic. It really helped me to view my work with a different eye and try to incorporate these elements into my design assignments.
I have to admit that I was so overwhelmed this week I didn’t keep up so well with the Daily Creates. One isn’t listed just because it’s written, but otherwise I think I may have forgotten to post these to twitter….It’s been a rough week, I’m glad it’s over and starting tomorrow I’m doing these every day!
12 Twilight Zone Stars
9 Twilight Zone Stars
This week was far more challenging for me than the last. I sputtered in the beginning with Audio Assignments and then spent the rest of the week obsessing on them a bit too much. I didn’t pay attention to the finer detail over all, I was just so overwhelmed with figuring out the program. Now that I’ve spent the last 7 days with Audacity, I feel like I’m much more competent than at the start. It’s gotten to the point where I’m starting to enjoy mixing things where are before I couldn’t even drag my selections into the program. I’m looking forward to next week and the challenge of online groups. I’m sure it will be prove to be much different than something I am normally used to. Really excited to make a Radio Show! It’s been a good week guys!
This is my dialogue mash-up of “Time Enough at Last” and a clip from “The Venture Brothers”.
Using MPEG Streamline and Audacity, I was able to cut bits and pieces of the dialogues apart and paste them together in ways that might be humorous.
I’m still finding it difficult to chop bits up using Audacity, but a friend of mine showed me how to utilize a couple of options, most importantly “Find Zero Crossings”. From what I understand, it helps you to cut out exactly at the end of your dialogue, rather than carrying on with insignificant “blips”. So, I tried to use that to the best of my ability, and while it wasn’t the easiest thing I’ve done, it wasn’t all that bad. I feel like I’m learning to DJ or something.
I really liked the idea of this assignment and thought that it could easily be applied to the episodes of The Twilight Zone that we’ve all been watching.
For some reason I did “The Invaders” instead of “Eye of the Beholder”, but I’m okay with that. I tried to take a more humorous approach rather than a serious analyses of all the contrasts and comparisons.
Surprisingly, it was a little difficult to make a first. I tried GIMP, then Photoshop, before I finally decided that Ink scape was the easiest program to use for this particular assignment. All in all, in didn’t take too terribly long to make, but coming up with the different similarities and differences took a while.